Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"Buy the truth" (Mark)

I just read this: "Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline, and understanding." This was shortly after the author encouraged his son to be careful not to overwork himself for the sake of riches and gain.

Basically, this author has seen and done it all, and he's drawn the conclusion that very few things are 'worth it.' From a guy with this perspective, I think it's worth noting that he says "Buy the truth," and especially "do not sell it." Truth is worth the price to buy, and so valuable that once you have it, you should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER sell it (yes, that was a "Martian Child" reference).

This poses the question, what does it mean to "buy truth?" I think for me right now, it means pay whatever price is necessary to gain 1) wisdom, 2) discipline, and 3) understanding. As a person in a situation that makes me feel like I lack all 3, I can see how valuable these things are. I pray to God that He would help me grow in this way.

Just thought I'd share what's on my mind. When so many things are vying for my time, it's just nice to hear what's important from someone who knows what they're talking about.

No comments:

Contact Us